Saturday, May 13, 2006

Alternity


Read a wonderful article on alternity, discovered through the use of the drug ketamine. It's basically another word for the multiverse, though that one is spawned by thought, not drugs. At least, I thought at first, but I read further.

John C. Lilly, inventor of the isolation tank and pioneer in inter-species communication, also came up with the term alternity.



"I have a concept called "alternity." From here to alternity. I came back from Chile and sat in Elizabeth Campbell's living-room on acid and started evoking ECCO. Suddenly the energy came out from above and went straight down my spine and on all sides of me were these divisions like a pie. And I could look down this one and see a certain future and then right over here another future and on and on. So this was alternity that I was sitting in. Now actually, unconsciously, we sit in alternity all the time, we have to or you wouldn't know how to get anywhere, right? But you don't know it."

Rather than the multiverse, which is an actual parallel universe, I interpret this as the single universe sliced up and served as alternatives. I look to my left, there's one universe, I look to my right, another, I look 2 degrees away from there, another.

This was my interpretation of the man's words, I could be wrong to someone, while being right to someone else.

"As the astronomer said to the Minister, "My God's astronomical." The Minister said, "How can you relate to something so big?" The astronomer said, "Well, that isn't the problem, your God's too small!""

For the whole interview: http://http://futurehi.net/docs/Here_To_Alternity.html

No comments: