Saturday, October 24, 2015

31 Days of Halloween Music - Day 24

Continuing my annual tradition - today, marks day 24 of celebrating the fun of horror that comes with Halloween. Today, we - and by "we" - me and the voices in my head, plus the specters that haunt my home travel to our past. In high school, I was a band jock, not a band nerd because we were too awesome to be nerds; however, don't think we didn't take our craft seriously. We put our hearts into every performance and we dominated.

One day, our head director offered to issue us copies of what is essentially known as "The Exorcist theme," which is a nearly thirty-minute performance piece by Mike Oldfield written when he was only nineteen-years old called "Tubular Bells." It is also the first album ever released by Virgin Records. Being a horror nerd (happy?), I quickly snatched myself a blank cassette and obtained a piece of musical glory. I heard the piece in its entirety and did so again about six more times after. I loved the whole thing, so here it is, in its entirety, a live rendition of "Tubular Bells."


 Keeping in line with my added twist, I also offer original songs dressed up by other people, just like our own beings that don costumes for, normally, one night of the year (but we are all far from normal around here). A favorite band of mine is Yes, and when I heard progressive rock band Magellan cover their kooky classic "Don't Kill the Whale;" modernizing it to an almost industrial level, I loved it, so I'm putting it here.




You can catch me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TurdFjerstad

No comments: