Sunday, May 27, 2012

Accident of Birth-day Thoughts



I rarely think about my birthday; it's never been as special to me as it is to others. Most people use it as another excuse to celebrate, others use it as an excuse to rigorously celebrate. If I ever need an excuse to celebrate, I take a deep breath and appreciate the value of my life, and then I try drowning it all in booze and debauchery because I have that right. As a human being, I am afforded that right, just as I am afforded to tell someone to mind their own business when they start asking me questions about my personal life.

My mother was in labor for nearly nine hours with me, the man claimed by the state of Texas to be my birth father texted me ten minutes ago, saying that he remembers being born at that time. There isn't much to remember after that since we were disassociated for the next few decades - naturally, each parent blames the other for that, personally I don't care. The only people relevant to my childhood have long passed away and I'm still working on the goals I set out for myself in honor of them, and when I accomplish those goals, I'll set some new ones.

For something of greater importance, the Golden Gate Bridge was opened on this day. Happy anniversary to that.

Me and the family did a tiny bit of celebrating, though. My aunt fixed cheese enchiladas for me along with other assorted sides and delicacies. The whole afternoon was topped off with some almond-something-or-other cake; quite delicious if only for a slightly thick texture, but delicious regardless.

Made it home and continued reading Storm Constantine's Wraeththu trilogy so I can make room for Greg Rucka's latest offering Alpha. Also received a copy of Brett Lewis' and John Paul Leon's graphic novel Wintermen, which is one of the finest comic books of this or any era that I have had the pleasure of reading and am eagerly awaiting to read again. Espionage, intrigue, and interesting people with powers; far better than any super hero book being produced these days.

The San Antonio Spurs won game 1 in their best of 7 series against the Oklahoma City Thunder. That was a nice, trans-universal gift.

I don't need people to know I'm alive, I just need them to pay me enough money so I can stay out of their lives.

No comments: