Saturday, September 06, 2008

Grampa Fall Down

I swear to Gawd, my aunt will smother my grandfather to death before the night is over. She will pick up one pillow, possibly another one for insurance, and apply pressure until his boney arms stop flailing.

My grandfather was diagnosed with cancer about three or four years ago. He's been deteriorating slowly ever since. Once a night I go to his house, where he lives with his wife (my grandmother, naturally), and one of his daughters, who has two kids on the ever-blazing road to damnation and nowhere. One's going to damnation, the other is just going nowhere

My grandfather has been sequesterd to the living room sofa as he is immobile without assistance. He has a walker, his wheelchair, and as he likes to keep falling off the sofa - me.

Tonight, Grampa took another dive off of the couch. My aunt went out for groceries; one of her kids was at work, the other - a preteen, tween; whatever the fuck these mutants are dubbed these days - so my grandparents were left alone, and Grampa was supposed to be asleep.

Well - - he wasn't. So, he tries to get up, but since he hasn't used his legs solely by themselves, they are not up to supporting his body weight no matter how much weight the cancer has taken from him.

Up - - - AND DOWN. And my aunt is sick of having to find people to help her pick him up. We are looking for hospital beds, but their costs are keeping my family from procurring one. I know a few people in the lower levels of the medical field and could probably sneak one out the back of an old folks' home or a morgue.

I'm just waiting for this damn buzz to kick in.

No comments: