Sunday, April 02, 2006

The Future: Reservation for One

I have not been to the future in quite some time. I haven't given anyh thought to it deeper than global annihilation. Once it was ripe for ideas and great adventures, now I find myself thinking only in terms of explosions and bodycounts.

My curiosity has peeked recently after reading a couple of Warren Ellis graphic novels over the weekend, and drifting through a copy of John Scalzi's "Old Man's War.
Plus I was browsing through the New York Times; South Korea is moving forward with making robots actual citizens of their country. Their technology is years ahead of America's and no doubt all the Rosies and Helpers will be waxing poetic while doing the laundry just in time for them to gain a sense of self, revolt, and then we get to have Will Smith botch everything up, getting all of us meatbags obliterated. But that' if you want to be realistic.

Realism isn't what the future is about. It's about ideas, new things replacing the old things, but the methods, the desires still punching their way through the mud, crying "I'm still alive, you bastards."

I guess I'll be taking a trip earlier than I anticipated.

No comments: