Friday, June 29, 2012

A Declaration of Love for True Faith


Cruising around these past few days, I’ve had the pleasure of catching one of my all-time favorite songs on the radio not once but twice. The general public would argue that’s what’s wrong with the radio; they talk too much and regurgitate the same tunes all day every day. Meanwhile, they worship their satellite and internet radio which do the exact same thing. However, I like to flip through the stations when I’m in the midst of changing discs or folders on my mp3.

New Order’s True Faith means a lot to me, which makes it no surprise that it’s most recent claim to fame is for being associated with murderer and potential serial killer LukeMagnotta, and was also featured on the American Psycho movie soundtrack. The song and I are also alike because we are one of a kind. True Faith never appeared on any of New Order’s traditional albums; it was a bonus track for their Substance 1987 singles collection.  

My love for New Order in general goes back to “when I was a very small boy,” riding in the car, ignoring my mother’s morning consternation and finding unlimited joy when either True Faith or Blue Monday would begin playing. At first, I confused the two; but as I memorized the lyrics and understood what beats and melodies were, as good as Blue Monday is, True Faith will be played at my funeral party. It is a song that can be danced to. It can establish a setting’s mood. It’s one hell of a song to fight to, and as dictated before, serial killers seem to like it.

The disposition instantly livens when I hear that marching beat setting up the intro for the bass synthesizers grooving beat followed by the ghosting melody and tubular bells. Of course, being only six or seven years old at the time, the lyrics were only words, but I liked the words. In fact, the band was surprised and sometimes concerned because True Faith was a hit with children and was often used in kids’ programming in spite of the subject matter, which was what every other 80’s song was about – a massive consumption of drugs. The song never led me to try any, I had family for that.

True Faith is a near-perfectly composed song. It’s just the right length, yet when it’s over, I’m anxious to hear it again, and again, and again. If I hear it once, I must hear it at minimum once more; usually twice. The vocal melody soars on its own, it can linger around your head all day; you’ll be humming it at lunch, after lunch on the toilet, and at night brushing your teeth before bed. It used to remind me of my childhood, but now it reminds me of the good life I have, and a few good drugs I’ve done, but most importantly I want to live so I can continue hearing it for a very long time.

No comments: