Monday, April 23, 2012

Even Monsters Get Diseases

I am anxious to begin reading Storm Constantine's works. She is most known for the Wraeththu Chronicles. I figured I would start there, but there is still so much to choose from. She also has singles works, including a collaboration with my all-time inspiration Michael Moorcock called Silverheart. I would prefer to start with lone story book rather than the first of a series, but does it really matter? I'm probably being completely anal about it, and you love it when I go anal.

Storm Constantine's books deal plentifully with mysticism and jumbling sexualities. I've even considered giving Anne Rice's latest offering The Wolf Gift a chance, though how good she still is since converting to Christianity is anyone's guess. I feel it may be parallel to Chuck Mangione giving up the drugs. It was great for his health but his music never came close to the excellence of his junkie era.

This all stems from a new project that I've been tinkering with. It's one that has me excited again like no other work has done in such a long time.

 I'm hoping to turn this young adult craze on its head and put some fear back into the creatures of the night, even if I must destroy the world to do it. I want teenagers to fall in love with fearing the written word once again. I want them to fall asleep with my story in one hand and a steak knife for protection in the other because my monsters don't come from under the bed. They bash down the front door, splatter puppies, and rape their parents while using their childrens' skulls as condoms. Seems to be a defeated purpose but even monsters need to practice safe sex.

The horsemen ride, and they're bringing the kids. Horseman's Child.

No comments: