Friday, March 30, 2012

Who Saw Her Die? - Movie Review




A serial killer has emerged in France, murdering young children. Popular sculptor Franco Serpieri’s own daughter becomes a victim. He and his wife do their own investigating, digging themselves deeper into a chaotic dilemma that gets only more complex and more violent the deeper they pursue their grieving curiosity.


I’m not sure if I’ve been craving giallo or good giallo. Either way, Who Saw Her Die? nailed it for me. It had everything expected out of a giallo – colorful, animal references, face-cloaked killers; some bowchickabowwow….yeahyuh.

Oh yeah, kills too, but surprisingly none too explicit but filmed nicely.

This was one of a handful of Aldo Lado’s contributions to the grim genre which he executes formulaically, but I needed a fix, it worked for me. He incorporates the compact structure of the bayside city and its bleak scenery well into the story making for some intriguing imagery. There’s actually some higher quality acting as well, I mean, for an English-dubbed version; but their expression told the story, they sold it. There’s also a character that undoubtedly looks like Flounder from Animal House (Stephen Furst).

The soundtrack by Enrico Morricone is deliciously bizarre using off-tempo rhythms, with the killer’s theme being one that will stalk your mind for days on end.


I needed a giallo fix, Who Saw Her Die fixed me and left me craving more.


No comments: