Thursday, January 17, 2008

Light Chills

Among conversating friends, she wrapped her arms around herself; that was the first sign. Reflex shivers gave away her freezing nature. January was being cruel to the southern states. The humidity and sweat were gone, replaced by a bitter, forgotten cold that made the local people uncomfortable and paranoid.

Canada would laugh at these Americans. ALL of Canada would laugh.

Stephanie went from uncomfortable to a plain kill me where I last peed; at least there it was warm. As a boy raised to be a future gentleman, I felt increasingly obligated to offer her my hoodie. Unlike the rest of the locals, I was of a mixed breed witholding northern blood. The cold wasn't such an extreme biological shock to me like others. I actually preferred it to every other weather except rain. I loved each equally, yet I loathed them when they struck simultaneously. Too much of a good thing and all that, I suppose.

Stephanie hastily accepted my offering of the hoodie, but still issued her own consideration when she asked if I was sure I wasn't going to be cold. I was fine, though I did ask her if she minded me moving next to her under the light. The light would aid to keep me warm enough. She didn't object, accepting with nod and a smile.

I was right, incidentally. The light did project enough warmth to keep me comfortable.

No comments: