Thursday, August 30, 2007

Learning Curve

I hate school.

I've been saying that most of my life.

I love learning. Knowledge is serious power, but I loathe the confinement and judging standards of the modern educational system. Then, once graduating from high school, having someone tell me that I need a pathetic piece of papaer not fit to wipe my ass with in order to do something important in this world - - fuck that. But I did it, and now, I'm at it again. Why? I have to get away from people. I don't like them. I need to make enough money to insure that I can escape them anytime I choose. Not just mentally, not just in my home; I mean physically, running to the mountains, or secreting myself in a cave.

Education is important, but the kind forced kids' throats these days, I don't believe it is, but that's from a purely consciencious perspective. Money isn't important to alot of people. I don't care for having "nice things." There are times that I can do without the roof over my head, and settle for the sky and clouds as my domestic apex. Then again, I'm two steps away from clinical depression, anxiety, and all around (everyone's favorite) insanity. Point being, I don't agree, conform, or prefer today's society, or what is considered the standard, or "normal." And I do like knowing that I can have a roof over my head, shoud I want one.

My perfect world would be the end of this one. Bring it all down. Kill the internet, destroy mass communication; adjourn the need for money. It's time to go back to basics.

It's probably not happening soon, or it could likely occur sooner than we think.

The Associated Press did a study, claiming 1 out of 4 adults did not read a single book in 2006. At first, that sounds disturbing, but that's me thinking as an avid reader. But I relaxed and thought about it. A)Polls are always foibled. In all truth, they mean nothing, and sometimes less. B)What kind of books were read? Kids books, like parents would read to their children? Comic books? Cook books? The phone book?

I ask myself, would I prefer a conversation with someone who has studied a book about fishing in Alaska? Or would I prefer a conversation with someone who has never read a book, but has fished in Alaska?

Reading is for those that love to read. Living is for those that love to live. Either way, you learn. I love both. I learn every day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!

I like your thoughts on education and life in this post. I think the same.

Just a passerby,
Cmate

MK said...

What do you think would happen if we brought back trade? Trading one thing you don't need that someone else can use for something you do need...instead of exchanging paper for food etc...that was basic. I'm ignorant as to the evolution of economics though.

Great post.

David said...

"MaryKatie said...
What do you think would happen if we brought back trade? Trading one thing you don't need that someone else can use for something you do need...instead of exchanging paper for food etc...that was basic. I'm ignorant as to the evolution of economics though."

The pessimist in me sees more murder. The positive in me sees a renewal of discipline, hope, and honor. And still a bit more murder.