Sunday, August 26, 2007

"Hell Everywhere"

At least seven people have been detained or arrested for their potential involvement in the fires that have consumed over half of Greece.

Arsonists seeking to clear land for development are believed to cause most fires. While building in forest areas is banned, land may be re-classified after a fire, letting developers move in.


This disturbs me to no end. Nearly 60 people have died; a mother charred mother and her four children were found. She smothered them with herself, protecting them from the flames.

And Olympia is in danger. The sight of the first Olympic games stands before the destructive force of a radical inferno.

I'm not an advocate of The Olympics. I dabble in combat sports, mostly training, competition now and again, but I am a fan of history and that deteriorating quality established centuries ago known as honor.

I can imagine how horrible the people of Peloponnese must feel, but I may never know; I would not want to know. Their helplessness magnified by looking to their government with betrayed laiden eyes. Greece is not a rich country, or even a financially stable one. They have little money, relying on the commerce of tourists as the country's primary source of income, and now they may believe that they have even less hope.

Look around you. Where are you? If you are alive, if you have a home, if you know love, enjoy it, cherish it; leave me be - I'm disgusted.

1 comment:

The Woman of Nite said...

Thank you for getting in touch. I am glad that things are better with you. I appreciate the compliment. Look forward to hearing from you again soon.