Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Reading Now

Currently working through Arthur Koestler's "Darkness at Noon." It's set in the Russia, during the 1930's; a fragile time for the Soviet Union. Rubashov is a glorious figure in the eyes of the revolutioinaries. One day he is arrested, and thus begins the inner workings of the machine, and a new understanding of what Rubashov is fighting for and against.

I really needed something like this, something so focussed on the mentality of its narrator, particularly because of what I'm working on.

Also, I grew numb after reading so many books on new technology, the lives of corpses, the history of Krakatoa, the biography on the Fox sisters, and two Nikola Tesla biographies (still a hero to me, with a third biography on the way); I just needed me some good fiction. "Darkness at Noon" has provided me with that bridge between both worlds.

This book has helped me tremendously in only a few pages on how to really get a protagonist's point and ideal across. I'm hoping to devote more time to it, even got rid of my television for a while, but as the book is coming along, and my training regiment is improving daily, I may need to ease up on the work outs so I can get more done on the writing front. Only about a month left of downtime, too, so time is once again a factor. It's always a factor.

Just breathe.

I'm also treading through Neil Gaiman's "Fragile Things," another short story collection of his. I like being able to start and finish some pieces on the same day, so this one has been handy, as well as enjoyable, and Neil Gaiman has always been a treasure.

The last book I remember reading in one day was Stephen Chblosky's "Perks of Being A Wallflower;" something I hadn't accomplished since junior high, with my old Michael Moorcock pocket novels. One page was filled with such extravagantly detailed fantasy along with raw, real emotion. When teacher was scrawling on the chalkboard, I was nose deep in Hawkmoon's next adventure, or Elric's latest tragedy. Fritz Lieber was a close second, but his narration was always a bit dry for my taste.

I will miss Michael Moorcock when he leaves this world. I don't feel like thinking about it right now.

No comments: