Thursday, March 22, 2007

Being Here

Dawn was never the same after the first snowfall in over 100 years. The grass never clung to my toes like it did that soggy, melting morn. It was only one night - one night of the purest white over the ground and the warmest coat around my heart. Even the air resembled a freshness sensed only when the biggest surprise anyone never expeced wound up on their bed, or when someone held their first child for the first time.

I sit on the ground where warriors once clashed, and where the Ku Klux Klan held one of their first rallies. I walk the earth where gold used to be the blood in the veins of the streets, and where birds of every creed and code have perched at least once on the branches older than any generation living now.

If I did not know that there was another world outside of this town, I wouldn't feel so bad being here.

No comments: