Friday, December 29, 2006

Woes of a Bodybuilder

I thought I was over this, but apparently not. I've been bodybuilding, seriously, for the last three years. The results are significant, and honestly, I'm in the best shape of my life. But, I'm a bit over six feet, weighing three-hundred pounds when everyone tells me I don't look it, that I look more like I'm two-hundred and fifty, twwo-seventy-five, give or take. I'm nowhere near what I would like to be, but that's why I work out, to get there.

No matter where I go, even at the gym, people can't help but stare. I go for coffee, people are looking, I'm working out at the gym, and I can see tension in the eyes of other guys, but for what reason - I'm clueless. I just keep my headphones on, mind my business, and follow proper weight room etiquette. My friend, Kevin, who is much more massive and muscular than I am experiences the same awkward moments, as I'm sure do others in our situation. But, we have only ourselves to blame. We work out because we love it. We love the pain, the gain, and everything else that comes with it, except the gawking, but that's just something we deal with in our own way.

No comments: