Saturday, November 25, 2006

Doomed To Be Together

The sand welcomed our bodies, and the ocean decided not to be a stranger to our feet. She looked to the moon, peering into the orb, hoping to see the future, but happy with her present, and with this moment.

"It's such a beautiful night. The waves crashing, the stars shining; it's all so majestic," searching for the last word, as if any other word would have ruined the evening entirely. "How could you leave all of this behind?"

Her love shared the hobby of stargazing as he answered, "You go where life takes you." He loses the stars to focus on her personal beauty, and not just the morning sun smile, or her lost in eternity eyes, but everything, her kindness, unrequieted respect and love, and a mind that makes the quickness steel traps obsolete. "If I hadn't left, I would've never met you. We would not have taken that tour of the cheesecake factory, and we would not have ended up here tonight, this majestic night."

Her hand was alone, so he joined his to with it as he kissed her shoulder. "We've been together, what, three years? Just about?"

He nodded. "And believe me, that is an accomplishment for both of us," he nodded.

"Worthy of Ripley's," she added.

He stared into the crashing waves reflected in her eyes, accentuating their brilliance. "It's been an amazing three years. Three years that I would not give up for anything."

"Anything?"

"Almost anything."

The radiance stunted and sterned. "What's almost anything?"

"I'd only give it up for a lifetime with you." He kissed her cheek, soft and warm, the way he felt when she held him sometimes.

"I thought neither of us wanted to get married?"

"Doesn't mean we can't spend the rest of our lives together. Who needs a damn ceremony and a piece of paper saying I love you. The only people that need to be aware of our love are you and me."

Her head tilted as she nearly gawked at him. "What're you saying?"

"I'm saying that since you and I are the saner side of a double headed coin, I am willing to pledge, vow if you will, my devotion to you for the rest of our lives." She continued to gawk. "If you'll have me." He finished speaking, but before he had, somehow he had slipped a pair of rings out from his furthest pocket, and positioned them right before her eyes.

"Of course. Yes. Yes," she had to shake her head, and really wanted to pinch herself, but holding his hand was proof enough that she was wide awake, and that the ear to ear grin on her face was indeed very, very real. "These beauties will definitely get my mother off our case about getting married."

"Well, why don't we meet her half way."

"Explain. Explain now or perish," she insisted.

"I'm saying, your parents, our friends, we all have dinner, I'll cook, and not only do we break the news to them about our little commitment, but we actually exchange vows. You write something romantic, I write something brilliant," and she smacked him on the back, "and we make it official. No priests, no hefty expenses for anyone, and you and I will continue living our life."

She looked to brightest star farthest to the south, not knowing it was south, only caring for the vibrant colors the star birthed around its space. "Sounds so simple doesn't it?"

"Yes. Yes it does," he replied.

"We're doomed, aren't we?"

"Yes. Yes we are. But we're doomed together."

No comments: