Sunday, August 27, 2006

Less Talk, More Squat

Currently watching a documentary on Gregg Valentino. He used to have world record holding arms. Once again, it focuses on demonizing steroids, which when abused, are lethal, but like anything else, when used in moderation are subtle, but effective. Look at them as to eating cake. You eat a little bit of cake, occasionally, there isn't much to worry about. You eat an entire cake more often than not, of course trouble stirs.

I've been lifting weights, seriously, for almost three years, ten years overall. Myself, I've never messed with anything that can't be bought in the open. I drink my protein, take my vitamins, use green tea pills and glucossamine with msm. I eat what I want, but I know what I eat, and how much I eat. It is not enough to know what food I am consuming. I need to know where it came from, how it was raised, any little detail. I have noticed great changes not only in my body, but in my health. My mind, on the other hand, its the same bear trap for decadence and culture it has always been.

I do not consider myself a body-builder because I don't have the time, but when I am weight-lifting, I am in another world. I am in a pleasant domain where all my worries are beyond my attention, and happiness comes when I can barely breathe because my last three reps tore my breath away from my lungs.

Gregg Valentino abused steroids, and his arms went from spectacular genetic abnormalities to to absolute sludge when they exploded, yes, literally exploded.

Recently, I had the pleasure of spending time with Gustav Badell, an award winning bodybuilder from Puerto Rico, who will once agian be competing at the Mr. Olympian in Las Vegas. He was well-mannered albeit a tad short-tempered. I asked him about any experiences he may have had with steroids, though he'd already discussed this in an article in Flex magazine a couple of years ago. He spoke about his own tampering with them, but it was short-lived because he wanted nothing more to do with that lifestyle. People that sell steroids are linked and cornered with the same dealers that sell cocaine and angel dust.

Mmmmmm. Cake.

No comments: